Monday, January 31, 2011

2011 Chevron Aramco Houston 1/2 Marathon

So yesterday was race day for the 2011 Chevron Houston 1/2 Marathon and Full Marathon. I had the pleasure of running the 1/2 Marathon with some old friends and made some new ones in the process. One in particular, a Mr. Steve Harvel, ran a 1:27 for the 1/2, we told him how disappointed we were with him and his listless effort. By the time we all made it in he had showered and eaten breakfast. I didn't have as much luck. At the 10k mark I was running 48:30, a pace I was very happy with and maintained it for a while. At the 9 mile marker I was at 1:10:32, so with a 8:30 pace I was scheduled to finish around a 1:45:00-1:50:00. I was elated, enthralled as this was to be a person record for me, potentially 18 minutes faster than my time in San Antonio. It was at this point I started to feel a very sharp pain in my left foot at the second toe. I ignored it and pressed on. The pain became greater and the conversation between mind and body went as follows:
Body: Stop!
Mind: No we have to keep going!
Body: Stop running!!
Mind: 4 miles, we can do this!
Body: Seriously, this is agonizing!!!!
Mind: HOLY CRAP THIS DOES HURT, STOP RUNNING!!!!!

My mind convinced my body that walking was also a bad idea, so I stumbled forward, luckily not obstructing anyone in my spill. I was able to hobble over to the side of the road where an EMS agent was standing. I removed my shoe and sock, with much reluctance and revealed a seemingly unscathed foot although the pain was excruciating. The Medic played around the all my toes and deduced that I have a hairline fracture in my second toe. The injury was sustained due to supination, or underpronation. I have a natural tendency to slightly overpronate, it's not threatening to injury but I run in a high stability shoe to assist it. With the negative camber of the roads and the wet streets due to rain the Medic seems to think that I began to supinate to offer a better strike in my stride, all efforts to the contrary of goodness, I am down for 2 weeks. He explained to me that this injury is much like a broken rib, just rest and don't apply pressure unnecessarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment