Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Man Purse; Fashion Forward, or Fashion Faux Pas?

Man Clutch by Gucci
Duffle Purse by Louis Vuitton
It's come up recently, this question of the "Man Purse", what is its place in society? The metabolic process of fashion in America has had many staples in society. From the baggy habiliments of break dancers in the 80's, to the lavish palatable colors of the artists of the 90's. But the one thing that has carried on is the procurement of items, and how one should carry them. Let's take the fanny pack for instance, a miserable little bag that straps carelessly to your waist in the most awkward of fashions and holds your personal effects. Once a staple of fashion in America, Canada & South Africa, now they're more associated with nerds or tourists, and if you are a tourist with a fanny pack then you are most likely a nerd as well. Is the fanny pack the ear mark for the infamous Man Purse? There are many different faces of the Man Purse, there is the Man Clutch (a Cristiano Ronaldo fave), the Man Purse Duffle (which Snoop Dogg has been seen wearing), and the self titled Man Purse, or European Shoulder Bag.
European Shoulder Bag by Etro

     There is a question that beckons, where does the brief case fit in to all of this? The brief case has it's place as I am sure we all know. Although no longer as popular as it once was, no one questioned a man with a brief case. In theory no one would question a man with an over-sized duffle bag on his shoulder...if he were walking through an airport or delivering your mail. But I find the perpetration and perpetuation of the "Man Purse" unmerited. Woman have a need for a purse, men do not, at least not the ones I know. I consider myself a stylish person, I feel as though I possess a clever form of style and fashion, and I have never, under any circumstances, been walking about thinking, "man, I really need an additional Bucephalas to tote my personal effects!" No, that statement has never arose. Other designers, namely Louis Vuitton, have gone a step further to bridge the metro-sexual gap and designed a sort of book sack or nap sack as means of a garment carriage. I actually owned one of these, although I only used it for travel, for my daily commutes with soccer and marathon training I use a standard black JanSport book sack I have had since the 7th grade.
Louis Vuitton Bosphore Backpack
I purchased this item about 3 years ago whilst on holiday in New York. Upon returning from one my trips it was "lost" by the airline and never recovered, as was a Louis Vuitton duffle bag I received as a gift in 2002. The additional reticule's that may be required for a man certainly can find their place. The clutch makes for a great shaving/grooming kit bursa, the duffle makes for a wonderful habiliments tote, or book carrier, and the European shoulder bag is great for school goers or messengers. I cannot say that I agree with any of these items as a mandate for style or fashion. I emailed esquire the following question, "Is there an acceptable man purse on the market right now?" Their response, "No, we've looked." So without further ado, the Man Purse is indeed a Fashion Forward Faux Pas. I do not recommend one for use while gallivanting around the town. There is so much more to this topic than what is depicted here. But I am afraid anything further would be quite boring. I'll say it again though, there is a metabolic process that takes place within the fashion world every couple of years or so, but that is why it is called fashion, because they fade away, the style in dress will always be here. Fashion is not a bad word, but it is not how our wardrobes should be orchestrated.

P.S. Next topic will be on entitled, "What's in your wardrobe?" (in my mind I envisioned one of those capital one guys saying it, like the what's in your wallet guys, so reread it with that voice in mind.)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the brief. So I have too much crap that I carry around sometimes. I'm gonna put it in a bag. And I'm gonna call it a book sack. And then I'll be ok? Phew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've got it. It's about perceived value.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great response Xularite, and I support the book-sack Wilablog.

    ReplyDelete